Sunday 16 February 2014

First half-marathon and importance of the right shoe

Last Sunday was amazing - Rahul and myself ran our first half - marathon. 21K - a dream for someone like myself. Despite terrible weather and the wind which was threatening to sweep you away.



What happened the next day wasn't amazing as walking down the stairs was causing strong pain in my knees - something I've never felt before. After reading stories online about people not being able to walk after having pain in their knees (hypochondriac I know!) I hurried to the Runners Need to check my GAIT and my running style and to buy new shoes.

My GAIT and my stride were fine however having looked at my old shoes the sales assistant told me they were made for light fitness rather than for any serious running and I shouldn't have attempted any more than a leisurely walk in them. STUPID is the only word I can use to describe myself. I bought those shoes two years ago as a replacement for my boots when my heel broke in Italy and I should have known better than training for four months before going to buy proper running shoes.

I've taken this week easy just doing pilates reformer and yoga but hope to go back to running next week - only TWO MONTHS left till the Marathon... My new shoes with lots of padding for my knees (hypochondriac and babushka I know!)



Dear friends - please be kind to sponsor me and support all the children whose families struggle to make a living and cant take them for a short break to the British seaside. Many thanks in advance!

xxx
Nika

My Justgiving Page - easy and secure


No comments:

Post a Comment